Being a Reds fan is a source of joy. For those of who grew up with the team, it has been an exciting ride. From the Big Red Machine heyday through the era of Chris Sabo’s goggles, going the distance by winning wire-to-wire in ’90 and then fighting the Giants to try to win for the American League championship in ’95, the team always keeps us guessing.
Simply Grand is the perfect café in downtown Cincinnati to visit before those weekday afternoon Reds games. Just two blocks from the north side of Great American Ball Park, it’s a quick jump to Redsville. We’re in the new Great American Tower, at the corner of Third and Sycamore.
Here are some of our favorite dishes, matched up with the 2019 Cincinnati Reds starting (non-pitching) lineup.
Here’s what we guess each of these gentlemen might order:
- Tucker Barnhart (catcher): Roast beef with horseradish. Just a guess.
- Jose Iglesias (shortstop): Spinach walnut salad. The grilled chicken delivers that protein.
- Jose Peraza (second base): Turkey flatbread crunch. Innovative, hearty.
- Yasiel Puig (right field): Tuna salad. Puig just seems like a seafood guy.
- Scott Schebler (center field): Weiss salad. A salad with bacon and turkey? Oh yes, my friend.
- Eugenio Suarez (third base): Chili with red bean. Spicy, zesty, quick.
- Joey Votto (first base): Ham and swiss on rye. An American classic.
- Jesse Winker (center field): Sante Fe chicken salad sandwich. Roasted red peppers and chile-mayo dressing on Ciabatta. Amazing.
So dig in, support your boys in red, and enjoy the season! Remember, we’re right there by the stadium rooting along.